Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jin-mei

Many people have asked about the meaning of Ruby's Chinese name. It was not that easy to come to a concensus for this name, probably because too many people were involved in the decision making. Both sets of grandparents had their own lists of ideas and all of the great-grandparents, aunts, and uncles also threw in their own two cents. In the end, I made the executive decision. I tried to incorporate our parents' suggestions and our own wishes to have the name say something about who Ruby is.

The character "jin" is taken from "Tian-jin" which is the city in China where both Steve and I were born and where both of our families are from. The character "mei" is from "Mei-guo" which is Chinese for "America." We wanted her name to represent where she comes from and also the fact that she is the first person in either of our families to be born in America.

3 comments:

P'ng said...

How come you don't mention that Mei is also beautiful, which I am sure that she will be!

Anonymous said...

that's a really neat story for a name!

Wanda said...

Mei also means beauty and Ruby is certain a beauty at this age :)

I hear ya about having too many people involved in picking names. I'm not that far into the pregnancy and I'm already getting proposals. Just Chris and I already can't settle on any name and I'm still fighting to have a chinese middle name.... This is tough. but i am glad you put your foot down and made the final call!!