Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Time to come out, Baby

I've reached 40 weeks gestation.


Still no sign of baby. We went to the doctor's yesterday, and we got to see the baby on the little portable ultrasound. Her head was too low for the midwife to feel, so she wanted to double check that it was in the right place. I was reassured again that the head was the right size, not too big.

The midwife said that the best way to tell how soon the baby is coming is by the number of pre-labor contractions I'm having. I couldn't really be sure if I had felt any contractions up to that point, but when she was poking around on my tummy, she pointed out to me that I was having a contraction. It just felt like a slight hardening of my tummy. Now that she's pointed it out, I feel like I'm having contractions all the time, although most of them I can only feel with my hand and not my tummy.

We were told to schedule another appointment in one week, at which time they would do some additional testing on the baby to make sure everything is still ok. If it is, the pregnancy would be allowed to continue for another week before they would want to induce. We are hoping to not make it to that appointment. Now that my mom is here and there's not really anything left to do to prepare, everyone's sort of looking at me like, "let's get going already." It's not my fault I'm such a comfy home for the baby!

0 comments: