Monday, December 3, 2012

What Ruby Eats, 1st Edition

I decided to start a food section on this blog that documents the things I make for dinner.  One reason is that we just got new dinnerware from Crate and Barrel (Cyber Monday deal) and now all of our food looks better.  The other reason is that perhaps my efforts to cook dinner may be enjoyed for longer than the 5 minutes that it takes for Steve to inhale it and the 1 hour it takes for Ruby to stare at it and complain that she wants a different fork.  My strategy for cooking dinner is to make at least one thing that Ruby historically has liked.  Of course that is no guarantee that she will eat it that day.  Some days she eats a ton, which makes me feel amazing, and other days she eats nothing, and I am inevitably crushed.  Such is the fickle hand of preschooler food consumption.

Saturday - Stir fried beef with carrots, broccoli, yellow bell pepper, and mushroom:


Ruby's reception:
This is actually Ruby's favorite preparation of broccoli, so she will specifically pick out all of the broccoli from this dish to eat.  She also really likes the beef even though I get grass-fed and it's therefore pretty gamey.  She will also eat the carrots, but the peppers she only eats raw so I have to save some from my prep bowl.

Sunday - Stir fried chicken with purple potatoes and orange bell peppers:


Ruby's reception:
Purple and orange are two of Ruby's favorite colors, so I was going for visual appeal on this one.  Unfortunately this was one of the days she decided she didn't want to eat anything.  I also baked a small pumpkin that night, and she ate a few bites of that, and I think I will save the rest to make baby food for the 1st Edition of What Lucy Eats.

Monday - Stir fried pork tenderloin with nagaimo root and wood ear mushroom:


Stir fried on choy with garlic:


Ruby's reception:
On choy is now the only leafy green vegetable that Ruby will eat.  She can sometimes eat almost the whole dish on her own, leaving me with just some scraps!  She also has always liked nagaimo which is a root vegetable that has the consistency of an apple.  She claims to not like wood ear mushroom, but it doesn't seem to bother her if she doesn't realize she's eating it.

Until next time!

0 comments: