Monday, May 25, 2009

Couvade

It's a french term originally meaning, "To hatch", but now refers to father-to-be's having pregancy symptoms. I've had at least one couvade symptom. If you guessed weight gain, you'd be correct. Although not quite the degree of Shuyi's gain, it is still quite a bit more than can be explained by measurement variance. If you think about it though, it would be pretty hard for a guy not to gain weight when you have 5 different kinds of ice cream in the freezer and plenty of other snacks around the house.

Despite the weight gain, I ran ok in the bay 2 breakers 12k race last sunday. I didn't quite reach my goal of finishing in less than an hour, but it was pretty close. The field was probably at least a minute slower than normal due to the hot weather (extremely hot for San Francisco, probably 20+ F warmer than normal). The heat really saps energy quickly when running. Not sure if this year was my last best chance to crack the 1-hr mark. We'll see how much running I can do after the baby arrives. One thing is for sure, I'm not gonna be able to lose weight by breastfeeding.

1 comments:

CF said...

If you two don't produce the most wonderful baby i the world, then there is no justice,,,